Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Bosteels Brewery - Tripel Karmeliet








I have really mixed feelings about the Tripel Karmeliet. The first time I ever tried it, I was at the Bosteels Brewery in Belgium, and on tap, it was one of the greatest beers I've ever had. Then I came back to Texas and had it here... In a green bottle. Why, Bosteels, why? Putting that beer in a skunk-inducing green bottle is like making a supermodel wear a soured t-shirt. Everybody knows how hot Latitia Casta is, but why does she smell so bad? Unlike a supermodel, you have to put the beer in something. Fortunately, Tripel Karmeliet is also sold in 12oz brown glass bottles, which helps, but those seem to be a little harder to come by. Perhaps because stores hate the packaging. (They are held together by a cardboard topper, and the beers easily fall out.) ...but I digest.
If you manage to find a pub that had this on tap, I couldn't recommend it more. It is a mildly sweet tripel, with a nice foamy head, and the glass is really swank.
A little history: This beer, and its glass were the creation of Bosteels brewmaster, Iwan De Meyer. The recipe was created by De Meyer while he was at college, which upon tasting at a brew contest, caught the attention of the Bosteels family. De Meyer has been working for Bosteels Brewery ever since.
My recommendation: Keg- Definitely, 12oz- You bet. 750ml- You might want to pass.
Category: Mild and sweet tripel

No comments:

Post a Comment