Thursday, May 5, 2011

Saint Arnold - Divine Reserve 10

Oh, the Divine Reserve series - always a mystery to the flavor and a
workout to the acquisition. I was a little late to jump on the Divine
Reserve train. I didn't even know it existed until after the 7th had
been released, so if you were like me (in the dark), here are a few
things that will get you up to speed: 1) Divine Reserve is different
with each release. Completely different. For example, the 10th release
was an English Style Barleywine 2) Once it's gone, it's gone. And it
is usually gone the day it hits shelves. 3) There are lines, waiting
lists, ticket systems, and quantity limits... It gets nuts. 4) Saint
Arnold seems to be on a roll for releasing fantastic Divine Reserve
beers, regardless of style.
So, that's the background. Now on to the "DR10," as it is known. If
you managed to get your hands on DR10, you were lucky. With only 1,862
cases distributed to Houston, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, and
surrounding Texas cities, there was little to be had. Upon first
tasting this beer, I was a little disappointed, but I had heard this
beer was best aged, so I did. 6 months later, it was already a stellar
improvement. The sweetness has started to mellow the bitterness, and
this 11% alcohol beer had suddenly become a much better buy. I've now
had 3 or 4 in the past month or so, and it just keeps getting better.
It warms the back of the throat while keeping just enough sweetness up
front. I can't wait to see how this tastes in 1 to 2 years. Great beer
overall.
My recommendation: If you can find it, get it and age it, but good luck.
Category: Top-shelf age-friendly deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment