Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Abbaye Notre Dame de Scourmont - Chimay Tripel (White)

Chimay has to be one of the easiest (of seven) Trappist beers to find
in the US. There are three varieties we commonly see here, though the
Abby does brew other beers sold locally in Belgium. Their tripel (or
"White" as it is commonly known because of the label color) is a
pretty decent beer. It is a tripel style, and not a whit, as many
confuse by the label's nickname. This one has some kick, but not quite
as much alcohol as the Chimay "Blue." Quite honestly, the only reason
I ever buy this beer is because it is sold in a three-pack with a
Chimay glass. Otherwise, I doubt I would buy it... Not that it is a
bad beer by any means. It's just, once you've had Chimay Blue, all
other Chimay beers pale in comparison. (...More on the Blue in its own
review.) I will say that I've seen this one on tap in Houston, TX at
the Belgian restaurant, Jeanine's Bistro. I plan on giving it a try on
tap. I think it may make a big difference overall.
My recommendation: Worth a try, and besides... It is brewed entirely
by monks and supports their Abby.
Category: Keep one in the fridge... But drink the Chimay Blue first.

No comments:

Post a Comment