Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Abbaye Notre Dame de Scourmont - Chimay Première (Red)

Maybe I've had a bad couple of bottles of this one, but Beer Advocate
gives this an A-, and I only agree with half of that rating... The
"minus" part. This is just an ok beer at best for me. Of the three,
this is my least favorite Chimay. I really try not to get wrapped up
in the name, and judge beer based on its contents. This one is ok at
best. I even aged one almost a year in hopes of better results. No
luck. It tastes a bit metallic and not quite as sweet as you would
expect. People seem to really like this one, so perhaps it deserves
another shot, but only if I just happen to pick up another three-pack
with a glass. This one is bottle-fermented, which is usually a plus
for me, but like the Chimay White, I'd say, "If you are going to buy
Chimay, go Blue. You won't regret it."
My recommendation: Try it to say you've had it, but pass it up the next time.
Category: Belgian Metallic Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment