Thursday, September 8, 2011

Stone Brewing Co. - Highway 78 Scotch Ale


Alright stop, collaborate and listen. Stone is back with a brand new invention.
I really do love to stumble upon a great beer, especially when I don't have to buy it. As one of our "Beer Knight" tastings, my good friend and co-blogger, Bradford brought this delight to the table. After going through a few other unmentionable beers, we popped the top on this gem. Highway 78. This beer was a collaborative effort between Stone Brewing, Green Flash, and Pizza Port Carlsbad. Who? Yeah, I hadn't heard of the other two either, but the magic these three made together? It was like Lucky Day, Dusty Bottoms, and Ned Nederlander... an unstoppable trio of perfection. (Look up here! Look up here!)
This 8.8% scotch ale very well may be the best of its breed. I've tried several before and a couple since, and they just don't get any better than this one. Sold only in single bottles, it can get a bit pricey, if you were hoping for a 6-pack, but well worth the premium. As far as flavor goes, it is slightly sweet with just enough alcohol warmth to get you going.
My recommendation: Nice, nice, baby.
Category: Top-shelf scotch ale

1 comment:

  1. I don't know where the actual road 'highway 78' is, but I reckon it must lead to a promised land where rivers flow with this beer and the buildings are made of whatever snack food you imagine at your fancy. 'Mommy, that man is drinking from the river and just ate a big chunk of our house...'

    ReplyDelete