Friday, September 16, 2011

Stone Brewery - Japanese Green Tea IPA


Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto.  We take green tea and put in your beer! 

This is another collaboration beer from Stone Brewery, teaming up with Ishii Brewing Company, (I think that's the Japanese one) and Baird Brewing. (Uh, I know what you're thinking, no not the bread company....in fact, they're ALSO a Japanese brewery! Specifically, it was founded by an American/Japanese married couple)

I basically had to post this one, just because it is unique.  I was looking for more Highway 78 Scotch Ale, you see, and my beer guy felt bad that it was extinct.

You can certainly smell the green tea, but I wouldn't say it shows up in the taste very much at all.  As far as IPAs go, I usually pass, but this one was complex enough to enjoy since the citrus-y, green tea-y (?) flavors distracted me from the usual bitter face slap that pale ales can throw down.

If you find this one, it couldn't hurt to pick up a bottle or two.  Especially if you plan to host a showing of Godzilla vs. Mothra.

Verdict: A decent altered IPA, but not a tsunami of greatness....

No comments:

Post a Comment